December, 2004

By steppen-wolf Admin

Holiday Greetings to all our friends:

At this time of year I usually post a note thanking our supporters for another successful touring season and their continued loyalty, Likewise, I customarily express my appreciation to everyone in “Wolf World” for their fine efforts, professionalism and dedication during the past year. Though I certainly wish to do the above once again, I am distracted at the moment because I’m trying to come to terms with a loss that has left a hole in my life, the departure of my oldest friend, Morgan Cavett. Those who met Morgan at past Wolf Fests, where he screened his “work in progress” video about The Wolf, or who read about him in the “Magic Carpet Ride” bio book, know that he and I have been the best of friends for 40 years and how great a role he played in my life. A couple of days ago he finally lost his battle with Cancer. I try to console myself, knowing he died peacefully in his sleep and that he seemed prepared for his last journey, the last time we talked. Jutta and I will celebrate his life and honor his memory of course, but still, we will miss one of the best friends our family ever had. Those who wish to learn more about Morgan, the kind of man he was and the remarkable life he lived, can do so by reading the article below. It happens to express my recollections and sentiments as well.

The Holiday Season is a time that is supposed to be full of cheer and celebration and so with that in mind I will close for now. I wish you all the very best of times with family and friends in the coming days. May we all have a better, more peaceful and safe 2005.

Stay wild


Morgan Cavett,  1944 - 2004

Morgan Cavett, a fifteen year resident of Pinon Hills, died of cancer, peacefully in his sleep, on Thursday, December 9, 2004.  He was a music and film producer, a newspaper writer for the Mountaineer Progress and funny man who made people laugh.  He was 60 years old.  Morgan was born into the Hollywood home of Frank and Mary Cavett.  Morgan's father Frank won screenwriting Oscars for "Going My Way" and "The Greatest Show on Earth."  Morgan's mother, Mary Oakes Cavett was a famous Vogue fashion model.  Morgan grew up hanging around famous personalities such as Ava Gardner, Artie Shaw and Dorothy Parker.
In the early 1960s, Morgan made inroads into the music business by managing the New Balladeer coffeehouse.  Here he met John Kay of Steppenwolf and other singers, songwriters and musicians who become lifetime friends and professional colleagues.  He went on to produce records with Johnny Mercer and became a successful producer in his own right discovering the 1970s duo sensation The Captain and Tennille.  From 1977-1988 Morgan and his partner, Bruce Langhorne, owned Blue Dolphin Recording Studios where they wrote the soundtracks for "Melvin and Howard,"  "Swing Shift" and other feature films. 
In 1990 Morgan and his wife Mary settled in Pinon Hills and Morgan became active in the community.  He and Yvonne Barton helped spearhead a group of high desert residents who successfully opposed the development of a large strip mine in Llano.  In 1993 he began writing a column for the Mountaineer Progress entitled "Around Town" in which he featured Tri-Community residents and he also joined the Mountaineer Progress Staff as a part-time reporter.  In 1994 Morgan served as president of the Pinon Hills Chamber of Commerce.  He did all this while running a successful video documentary production company specializing in creative artists and historical figures.  Morgan is survived by his wife Mary of Pinon Hills and his daughter Christina of Ukiah, California.
Author's note: I met Morgan while I was editor of the Mountaineer Progress in 1972.  He was actively opposing the Owl Rock strip mine project and we crossed paths at several community meetings on the subject.  Following one particular story I had done and with which Morgan did not agree, he wrote a stinging letter to the editor accusing me of being brain dead.  I invited him for a beer and we became instant friends.  When I left the Mountaineer in 1994 and moved to Oklahoma, Morgan and I kept in touch via telephone.  He was very private with regard to his illness and I only learned of it this past September.  He was a wonderful, funny and kind individual who left a warm and happy spot on many people's hearts.  I will miss him dearly.
Rick Olderbak      


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published